Where to Eat & Drink
The Highwayman, Burrow, nr.Kirkby Lonsdale, LA6 2RJ
Tel: 01524 273 338
Relaxed bar & restaurant serving a modern take on classic British dishes using quality fresh ingredients. Stone floors, crackling log fires in winter, fabulous walled garden for summer alfresco dining. And it’s only a half hour walk away on a lovely quiet country lane (Don’t forget to take a torch for the walk back at night though!)
Platos, 2 Mill Brow, Kirkby Lonsdale, LA6 2AT
Tel: 015242 74180
Home cooking with a twist made from fresh ingredients sourced from the doorstep, great wine, real ale. Serves breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, early evening tapas and dinner.
The Sun Inn 6 Market Street, Kirkby Lonsdale, LA6 2AU
Tel: 015242 71965
High quality meals from fresh local ingredients, good range of local award winning cask and keg beers with guest ales from the area, varied wine list. Flag stone and oak floors, roaring log fires in winter, simple furniture and feather cushion window seats create a relaxed and welcoming atmosphere at the 17th century Sun Inn.
The Plough Cow Brow, Lupton, nr Kirkby Lonsdale, LA6 1PJ
Tel: 01539 567700
A wide variety of dishes served alongside an impressive wine list (many served by the glass) and local hand pulled ales in a beautiful open space with wood burning stoves, stunning oak beams and antique furniture.
The Royal Hotel Main Street, Kirkby Lonsdale, Cumbria, LA6 2AE
Tel: 01524 271966
Great regional food, tea & coffee served all day in very comfortable surroundings (with newspapers/mags to read), bar well stocked with real ales, wines, etc.
Hipping Hall, Cowan Bridge, LA6 2JJ
Tel: 015242 71187
The place to go for a splurge – excellent food and wine served in a delightful english country house setting with service that is attentive and professional without being snooty. For the experience without the price tag go for Sat/Sun lunch.
The Lunesdale Arms, Tunstall, LA6 2QN
Tel: 015242 36191
A British take on Southern Mediterranean cuisine served with a fine range of ales and wine.
Number Nine Bar & Restaurant, 9 Market St, Kirkby Lonsdale, LA6 2AU Great sharing dishes
Note: all of the above offer vegetarian/vegan options
The Barn, New Road, Kirkby Lonsdale LA6 2AB
Great bar complete with working brewery! Boasting 12 handpulls, 8 keg taps and over sixty different craft beers. Also housing Kircabi coffee roasters.
And a little further afield (but well worth the drive)….
The Punchbowl Inn Crosthwaite, Lyth Valley, Cumbria, LA8 8HR
Tel: 015395 68237
Great for a drink, a meal or, why not indulge in one of their cream teas! Excellent food served in a superbly renovated old Lake District Inn.
The Drunken Duck Inn Barngates, Ambleside, Cumbria, LA22 0NG
Tel: 015394 36347
Great Lake District restaurant and bar. Fantastic food - predominantly local seasonal produce; real ales (some from their own brewery), fine wine; great ambience. Booking essential for evening but just turn up at lunch and order at the bar.
Cafes and Takeways
- Cowan Bridge Tea Room, Cowan Bridge. Tel: 015242 73392: Great little café here in the village serving hot food, inc breakfast, tea, coffee & cake.
- Lunesdale Bakery & Café, 50 Main Street, Kirkby Lonsdale, LA6 2AJ.
- Number Forty Four 44 Main St, Kirkby Lonsdale, LA6 2AJ Great coffee
- Ireby Green Farm Café, Ireby nr Cowan Bridge, LA6 2JH
- Country harvest café, food hall & gift shop, New Rd, Ingleton, LA6 3PE
- Churchmouse, café & cheese shop Barbon village centre, LA6 2LL
- Jingling Lane Chippy (fish & chips) Jingling Lane, Kirkby Lonsdale, LA6 2AW Tel: 015242 71032 Open: Tues-Sat 11:30 -1:45pm, 4:30-7pm (7:30pm Thurs, 8pm Fri/Sat)
- Waterlily (Chinese food) 1 Market Square, Kirkby Lonsdale, LA6 2AN Tel: 015242 72772. Open: Weds –Mon 5-11pm (11:30pm Fri/Sat)
- Spice Essence (Indian food) above Lunesdale Bakery, 50 Main Street, Kirkby Lonsdale, LA6 2AE Tel: 0871 963 2547 Open: Mon-Sun
- M's Spice (Indian food) 13/15 Main St, Ingleton, LA6 3EB Tel: 015242 41494 Delivery is £4 (min order £20)
(Sorry, none deliver except M's Spice)